As part of the Strengthening and Sustaining Ohio’s Suicide Prevention Coalitions Initiative, eight coalitions across Ohio received funding to study and apply the Community Coalition Action Theory (CCAT) to enhance the efforts of their coalitions.
Coalitions Funded in 2021
- Ashtabula County Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Butler County Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Clermont County Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Knox County Suicide Prevention Coalition
- River Hills Prevention Connection (Lawrence County)
- Sandusky, Seneca, and Wyandot Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Wayne/Holmes Suicide Prevention Coalition
Phase 1: Expanding our Coalition’s Knowledge of the CDC’s Technical Package for Preventing Suicide
The goal of Phase 1 is to expand the coalition’s knowledge of the CDC’s Technical Package for Preventing Suicide. This process will occur in two steps:
(1) A small group of coalition members will engage in a deep dive into the CDC’s Technical Package for Preventing Suicide.
(2) The small group will then create a plan to share the knowledge they have gained with the entire coalition.
A good place to get started is reading the Phase 1 guidance document. This document clearly outlines the tasks and deliverables associated with Phase 1. Coalition leaders are encouraged to read through the entire document before moving into action.
READ ME FIRST – PHASE 1 GUIDANCE
There are three essential resources to support coalitions in completing Phase 1:
- CDC Technical Package for Preventing Suicide
- Making the Ask (video and supporting materials)
- Buiding Successful Teams with Help-seeking Behaviors (video and supporting materials)
CDC Technical Package for Preventing Suicide
Making the Ask
Asking for help is difficult, whether it involves fundraising, assistance on a project, advice, or simply a favor. In this video, Judy Millesen offers tips on how to ask anyone for anything. Judy also provides a number resources to complement this learning on how to strengthen fundraising efforts, why it is hard to ask, how to make asking easier, how asking can make you stronger, and a TedTalk on “The Art of Asking.”
Building Successful Teams with Help-seeking Behaviors
This handout will support coalitions in completing Task 2 associated with Phase 1.
READING REFLECTIONS SUMMARY SHEET
Here are the three deliverables associated with Phase 1.
DELIVERABLE 1: PHASE 1 TEAM FORM
DELIVERABLE 2: STUDY GROUP SUMMARY SHEET
DELIVERABLE 3: SHARING THE CDC TECHNICAL PACKAGE – ACTION PLAN